Aadland's building of his Spray 27 in Wood Epoxy
The lifelong desire to sail has prompted my present (major) project, a
Spray 27 cutter designed by Bruce Roberts. This is the second smallest of his Spray series
and the larger of the two trailerable ones. A multi-chine plywood design, the cutter can
be built with either Marconi or gaff rigs and in either pilot house or conventional
sailboat configuration. Luckily, decisions on those two matters need not be made until
bulkheads are installed, so I have a while yet to decide.
I made two modifications.
First, the Sprays have a conventional transom which turns to
vertical for the upper one foot. I kept the taper of the transom all the way aft, which
will increase cockpit (or lazarette) space and overall length (to about 28'). The shape is
more pleasing to my eye. Secondly, I am building the hull with a modified stitch-and-glue
or, more accurately, epoxy chine method. Ive built the hull over the same temporary
frames specified but eliminating the chine logs and instead edge-gluing the plywood panels
with filled epoxy.
The hull is roughed in and when fibreglasses will be turned over with
the temporary frames still supporting it. At that point the fillets of filled epoxy will
be installed inside as the chines. This modification was done with the blessings of Mr.
Roberts himself, incidentally.
A Spring 99 Update: I completed the planking, built up the keel with fir, and built
a steel ballast box to be later filled with lead and thickened resin. This ballast
box, still empty, was fitted into place and the wooden keel laminated up around it.
Then I removed it to be bolted in position later with the hull upright.
located an old-but-good Yanmar 8h.p. diesel, the old horizontal cylinder model, and
purchased it for later installation.
A stern view of the hull, now covered with 6 oz. fiberglass cloth set in epoxy
resin. (Much sanding and fairing remains before it will be ready for paint.)
To turn the hull we had, naturally, a party.
Two heavy Polly ropes were run from the
ends of the trusses on each side of our pole shed, under the hull (but over the building
form), then to cable-type come-along's. To protect the hull we padded
the area with tires and also put foam pipe insulation over the ropes. Then we
cranked on the come-alongs until the hull lifted off the form. We lifted the hull until it
went over gently onto the ropes. Then everyone quickly skidded the building form
forward out of the way. Then we pushed the hull back onto the concrete building
platform and blocked it.
Final positioning of the hull was easy, and with this nice old-fashioned straight
keel design, the hull ended up dead level with the waterline (as shown by the marks on the
temporary frames still inside).
Emily and I posed in front of our sailboat to be,
then she posed me by the stern. Were tentatively planing to name the boat Sjo
Hest, sea horse in Norwegian, a marriage of our Scandinavian heritage and our
preoccupation with the world of horses. Hopefully it will take us over the waters of
Puget Sound and the Sea of Cortez. Watch this space for more on the
building of Dan Aadland's Spray 27